Best place to send packages (in case he gets transferred)
Mission Office
Elder Andrew McCarty
Canada Edmonton Mission
8925 51st Ave. suite 305
Edmonton AB T6E 5J3
CANADA

E-mail: A.a.mccarty@myldsmail.net

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

01-30-08

I'm definately in Canada! The past three days it's been in the -40's! Ya that's pretty brisk! We're mostly encouraged not to go outside if it's -30 C but today it warmed up to a scorching -28! ha ha The snow is far different from home. It's very powdery and when it packs it is slick! On exchanges a little while ago with Elder Sandstrom in Olds we were getting into the car. We each set our backpacks on the back seat and closed the doors. I turned and saw a truck with it's wheels turned to their max. The driver (a woman maybe in her 30's) was screaming some things that I won't write but suffice it to say she was distressed. Her wheels locked up. The dog in the passenger seat looked at us without the slightest bit of knowing what was going on. Now I'm surprised at what I did and what Elder Sandstrom did but we were a little shocked. For about 8 seconds (that in retrospect feel like 5 minutes) we stood just looking back at the truck. She was going about 30 miles per hour when we noticed her. She had been trying to turn into her neighbors driveway when it locked up. She came within 6 inches of our rear bumper. She apologized profusely and we told her it was fine and that it happens sometimes. Elder Sandstrom mentioned that we weren't the type to get angry even if the collision had happened. She climbed back into the car and drove over to her near house. I have the distinct feeling we were protected that day. It seemed to me that she should have plowed through the car and her truck was an older ford model. It was the type that had a solid metal bumper and the whole body was made very solidly. Our malibu would've stood no chance to say the least. Lately our balchony doors have been frozen shut. Here in Canada they put two doors on so that the outer door can freeze but the inner door can be more insulating. BOTH doors have been frozen shut and I have been making my handprint in the outer one from the inside layer of ice.Transfers were monday and the verdict came in, Elder Frost and I are both staying in Rocky. The president says that he recieved a letter from the higher authorities instructing us to stay in our companionships for longer. There are two elders in Red Deer who don't get a long at all. This transfer will mark 6 months together for them! What a lesson to me that I need to quickly learn to get along with all my companions!Well It's been another blessed week and I hope home has been the same! Congratulations to Amy and Jake for their wedding coming up quickly! I love you all and miss you but I'm out here working in the Lords vineyard and what a blessing that is! :DHave a phenomenal day! Elder McCarty

No comments: