Best place to send packages (in case he gets transferred)
Mission Office
Elder Andrew McCarty
Canada Edmonton Mission
8925 51st Ave. suite 305
Edmonton AB T6E 5J3
CANADA

E-mail: A.a.mccarty@myldsmail.net

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

1-16-08

Family and friends, It seems this week I've been caught on a spiritual peak. It's days like this that the air seems a little fresher, the weather less severe, and the blessings from God so tangible. I'm deeply grateful for the e-mails I recieved in response to last weeks letter. I feel very blessed that so many people take interest in how I'm doing. Thank you for your support.This has been an inspiring week. Zone conference seems to have that effect. President Rhodes came down from Edmonton. In our interview I asked him a question about what I can do to be better at missionary work. He closed his eyes for one of those moments that seems like an eternity. When he opened them they seemed peircing. He simply said, "Elder McCarty, thank you for asking such a profound question... I will seek a more definate answer for you." .... I believe that President Rhodes is a man of God. I feel an unquestionable respect for him each time we meet. It's the kind of respect that commands reverence and integrity. We had a recent convert from one of the missionaries ward come and talk to us about her story. She was a simple person. The words she used were not extravagent but, when she bore testimony in words I had heard and spoken more times than I can count, my soul stirred. I felt the holy ghost with great power. She told us in words that are all too often spoken as memorized segments. Yet her sincerity shined through with unmistakable eloquence. It was a marvelous experience.Lately my perception of prayer has been changed. I now seek to have conversations with heavenly father. As I've done such my life is more rich. Everything seems purposeful and my faith has increased. Prayer is no longer a task but a pleasure. I was asked to close the Zone Conference with prayer. We all knelt down and I prayed with all the thought I could muster. I have sought to become more mighty in prayer since that adjective almost always accompanies description of the prayers of men I wish to be like.Sister Rhodes (the wife to President and mother of the mission) came to me afterward. She said to me "Elder McCarty that was a very spiritually oriented prayer, thank you." That compliment was a great strength to my faith that as we aspire to improve we can do so!I want to challenge each person that reads this letter to pray to God. Speak with him as you would with someone you greatly love and respect. Give him time to respond. Please do not rush through because if you fall victim to this (like I have for so many years) there's no end to the blessings you may be missing!Dan Jarhaus came to church yet again. He's a very soft spoken man. He asked a question geared towards Reincarnation while we were speaking of Resurrection. We explained that although reincarnation is a popular belief among some religions modern revelation has revealed that in fact reincarnation is not valid. He seemed a little confused. We asked him after class if he would like to hear more and if we could set up an appointment with him. He replied "not right now, I'm really busy." I was a little discouraged but I think over time he will make the time.It's my solemn testimony that this is Christ's church. That includes the facts that I know Joseph Smith is Gods prophet, that he passed those keys vicariously to Gordon B. Hinckley who I know recieves revelation for you and I. How powerful those truths are.I love you all and I enjoy hearing about how your lives are going. Please If you would like a personal response just mention it in your emails because I cannot always respond to all who I'd like to. I will do my best though! Thank you for your support, for your time, and for all you teach me. Love,Elder McCarty If you have any questions or comments I love to hear them! If you feel the overwhelming desire (ha ha which I'm sure you do) to send me mail my current address is:Elder McCarty5212 53 St. 403BRocky Mountain HouseAlberta T4T 1R6Canada

No comments: