Best place to send packages (in case he gets transferred)
Mission Office
Elder Andrew McCarty
Canada Edmonton Mission
8925 51st Ave. suite 305
Edmonton AB T6E 5J3
CANADA

E-mail: A.a.mccarty@myldsmail.net

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Weely Letter 01-09-08

Dearest Family and Friends, This past week has been a spectacular one! I have enjoyed so many blessings. I hope that you can feel some of what I feel as I'm recieving so much! Since last week fast sunday was a very powerful experience for me. About a month ago I began a new tradition for myself. I decided I wanted to focus more on what the sacrament means when I go to church so I read Hymn 29 "A Poor Wayfairing Man of Greif" while the sacrament is being passed. In the spirit of fasting and prayer when I read the words in the 6th and 7th verses (especially the end of the 6th) I had one of the most special spiritual experiences I've ever been blessed with. Recently Sister Plowman in our ward (daughter to and living with the Judds) had supper with us at her house. We discussed the empty sixth seat with set plate. Her friend Dan Jahraus is a farmer. I think they're dating but they always call eachother (in introductions) friends such as, "This is my friend Dan." He attended "The Forgotten Carols" play and noticed there were many who were dressed in the customary white shirt and tie. He asked for some for Christmas! Now being a farmer, we pondered, why would he need white shirts and ties. He never showed up to that supper (being out late hauling hay) but our question was answered much how we anticipated and there he was at church the next day! We taught him about The Restoration in our investigator class. That was all very exciting but the real surprise came on the 6th of January. Sister Plowman was ill. She didn't come to church, yet, there was Dan, bible in hand and just as calm and silent as the week previous. We theorized "Maybe Dan was asked to drive the Judds" they're elderly and it certainly was possible. Elder Frost asked "Dan did you drive the Judds today?", when we met them on the way to class. Brother Judd has one glass eye and a walking cane so we thought it more than possible he could not drive. He squared his shoulders stood tall and said "I may be old and half blind but it only takes one eye to drive." We were shocked! Dan came out of no obligation. He came because he wanted to. He did not even have Sister Plowman there to influence him and yet he came! Now this may seem a little less significant but I want you all to know I hadn't had any progress with any person out here since we opened the area. I was thrilled that he's interested in the gospel. We're going to (through Sister Plowman) set up a lesson and he'll officially be considered a progressing investigator. Monday of this week was the beginning of an exchange. For those unaware an exchange happens when the leader (in our case Elder Frost is the District Leader) splits off with another companionship. The purpose is mostly to establish the status of the missionaries so that any troubles can be solved and corrected. I had the privelage to go with Elder Sandstrom! He's a big guy from Salt Lake. We talked up a storm (no play on his name intended... ha.) I enjoyed the time we spent. One experience we had stands out in my mind. We went by a store that Brother Mike Tucker owns and operates. He was on the phone with Ellen from Washington (another "Friend" I presume.) Her daughter Jessica (age7 1/2) had a question which they warned us she had stumped their missionaries with. She got on the phone while we were on speaker phone and asked this question. "If God has no beginning and no end where did WE begin?" .... Ya... I know. How would you answer it? Well we did it like this. We explained to her about the fact that we're spiritual beings having a physical experience. We told here we are here for two purposes. In no particular order 1 To gain a body like our Heavenly Fathers and 2 to be tested according to our agency. We explained it in detail that a seven year old can understand. We told her that in order for us to be tested we have to be kept from really remembering before this life. Next we explained that someday we will understand those things when we are ready. What a humbling experience it was! Also what a smart young girl. It was hard at first. We struggled to find out what to teach. She understood and accepted our answer nevertheless. It was a great experience. This Email is long. I apologize! This week also Brother Herman Wolfs let me borrow his guitar! It was his first. Made in 1952 in Germany this guitar is a work of art! It's red and black with violin style acoustic grooves on the sides of the string. He's also teaching me how I can determine what key songs are in and I'm grasping a better understanding of how to teach myself songs that I know. I already have come up with the chords for "Silent Night", "Frosty the Snowman" (Elder Frost loves when I sing that one to him ha ha) and many more simple but fun songs! I hope soon to be able to teach myself whichever hymns I want! The mission life is amazing. The church is true. If there is doubt in your mind I invite you to read Moroni 10:3-5 and follow his instruction. Especially focus on the 3 qualifications given that are prerequisite to his promise. God bless you.Love,Elder McCarty

No comments: