Best place to send packages (in case he gets transferred)
Mission Office
Elder Andrew McCarty
Canada Edmonton Mission
8925 51st Ave. suite 305
Edmonton AB T6E 5J3
CANADA

E-mail: A.a.mccarty@myldsmail.net

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Life is like a box of chocolates... 15 July 2009‏

Except this box of chocolates is full of the really really delicious kind! So you know EXACTLY what you're going to get.I love life.It's so wonderful that through the RESTORED gospel of Jesus Christ there can be such a practical and thorough application like that of simply finding JOY through life's stumbles.Yes truly life can be full of scabbed knees, scuffed shoes, torn sleeves and tripping on stumbling blocks. BUT, the beauty of a modern Church calculated to equate our happiness is that we can smile and press forward through our trips, stumbles, and rolls on the pathway toward perfection.Last week in the temple the spirit witnessed to me that as we follow the example of the people of King Benjamin and pitch our tents with the doors toward the temple our purpose in life and as missionaries becomes rich.Don't all rush out and camp temple square I of course mean recognize the eternal implications of the daily menial chores. If you're a factory worker who stands with a stamp in hand and stamps all day, think of the importance of that job in bringing you to your eternal destiny as a son or daughter of a loving Heavenly Father. If it's not... Set goals to make it so!Happiness there lies.This week My companion and I had several wonderful experiences.Firstly we went to eat sushi and a local place called Banzai. It's a Japanese cuisine that serves a lot sushi. I in my cultured past have never tried wasabi OR sushi. I ate the different sushi's with no problem and actually quite enjoyed it (yes it's true mom and dad I'm no longer afraid of new foods.)Next I endeavored (with some encouragement from Elder Mckay) to try a dab of wasabi on my sushi. It tasted good! My dab was a tiny one but it still added to the flavor and I was glad I tried it.After we had all finished there was about 2 teaspoons of wasabi on my plate and a tablespoon of strips of ginger which I learned are meant to clear your pallet between sushis.We rock paper scissor tournamented to find who got eat the whole tablespoon of ginger. Elder Richards was the lucky man and put it in his mouth!... chewed..... chewed again leaned forward and left it in a napkin.As Elders do many of the missionaries gave him a hard time. I just patted his back. Next the missionaries turned to the wasabi. This time however we started with a number guessing game. Momma you raised a furious rock paper scissor fighter but a lousy number guesser. Yes it's true the lot fell to me. To my surprise I actually ate the teaspoon of wasabi and I'm still alive!Now either I was a victim of peer pressure or i'm growing in that I'm no longer afraid of trying crazy foods.The other day Elder Williamsen and I found ourselves in a first appointment with a french family from the Kongo. They're extremely kind and we had a great talk.Noah, the head of the house, stated "I've met with many missionaries from your church in the past. I agree with EVERYTHING except joseph smith."Beginning with prayer we taught and testified. We used scripture and testified some more. He agreed to read from the Book of Mormon with an open heart and pray according to Moroni chapter 10 verses 3-5 to know the truth of the prophet Joseph Smith.Nearing the end he revealed to us that he was once a Jehovahs Witness and now is a Pentacostal PREACHER. He thanked us for our commitment and several time told us God would bless us. He explained he has never read from the Book of Mormon and that he's going to begin a serious study of it.His heart seemed softer than at first and his demeanor seemed altered by the spirit that has that power. I'm grateful to be a part of this work and that simple lesson.Another quick experience. Kyla is a young woman that falls on the opposing side of the scale. She was raised going to Catholic school and doesn't remember much of what she learned.We showed up on her porch last night and she said she had half of one hour. We began having a discussion outside her townhouse porch where all her neighbors could see. She told us she has a lot of things she needs to change in her life.We bore testimony of Mosiah 5:2 and told her that the changes she wants in her LIFE will come because of the change the spirit will wrought in her HEART.She has committed to read the Book of Mormon and watch the Restoration DVD. We'll be taking her on a church tour Saturday!There are many experiences like these that all bear witness to me that the hand of God is what drives this work. For the secular and spiritual growth (that really isn't so easily separable) that I have experienced undoubtedly testify that there is greater power than man in this work of saving souls.I love you all and bear my witness that the temple is the house of the Lord. I testify the church of Jesus Christ is restored and I praise eternally His name for it.
Love,Eldre McCarty
P.s. No pictures again. It turns out my camera is broken

No comments: