Best place to send packages (in case he gets transferred)
Mission Office
Elder Andrew McCarty
Canada Edmonton Mission
8925 51st Ave. suite 305
Edmonton AB T6E 5J3
CANADA

E-mail: A.a.mccarty@myldsmail.net

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Loving Kindness 29 July 2009‏

It's a wonderous summer morning in the south west side of Edmonton. The sun is shining and it seems more common lately that our summer mornings are much like spring mornings in Utah.The work is moving forward by the hand of God at an amazing rate. His matchless power is undoubtedly pulling this great work along. This week we've been blessed by many powerful and some humorous expiriences.


I'd like to start by writing to you an entry in my study journal. Our mission is focusing on Chapter 6 Christlike attributes this transfer (oh by the way it's a new transfer and we're staying the same.) I decided to focus on a different attribute for each week. To bring that focus I've decided to memorize one scripture each week for the attribute I'm focusing on. This week is Charity.

Here begins the entry:

July 28, 2009 was a day I hope to retain in rememberance. Attending the transfer meeting (of which we had no part except permission from President Rhodes to attend,) very profound things were said. [I asked permission from President Rhodes to go so we might say farewell to the departing missionaries especially past companions Elder Sean Kipp and Elder Olive Kilifi.]
A sweet crisp breeze lightly blew carrying upon it's wings the tender feelings of reuniting comrads. Old friends whom we've poured out our spirits and hearts with and for in the great cause of redemption for the fallen world in which we live.

Shortly we were ushered into the chapel where the meeting began.President Rhodes expressed in his remarks some extremely tender feelings and we had a powerful experience with the powers of heaven. The time came for each new missionary to matched to their trainers and the spirit remained. After, each departing missionary [all of which are friends some of which my heart is knitted to] bore testimony and taught one principle. The spirit flooded my heart and I truly felt Loving kindness for all that were in the room.

As our day unfolded the buffetting of beelzebub turned onto our path. While seeking our Zone Leaders at their apartment they didn't answer the front buzzer. We decided we could tap on their window from the back. As we tried to get their attention a woman three floors up began to say some things to us. We told her we were simply trying to contact our friends and that they didn't answer the buzz though we were certain they were home. She told us we had to leave the premises because we were trespassing private property. I fought my carnal self which wanted to explain to her our situation and decided she didn't care. I bowed my head as we prepared to ride our bicycles away and after sincerely apologizing to her we left.

This was a hurdle for me. I worried, have I learned anything on my mission if I can't respond more meekly to such a situation? We fought murmuring and the feelings so disturbingly opposite to those blessed emotions only hours previous.

July 29,2009 [this morning] I was reflecting upon my goal to be more charitable this week. The experience of the previous day didn't cross my mind. Studying and seeking a scripture to memorize one stood out 1 Nephi 19:9. Reading and pondering I recalled the incident and one of my thoughts I distinctly remember having "how can I be like Jesus, perfectly loving and meek, when it's so un-just the way I'm being treated?" I had even defened my feelings with the scripture 1 Timothy 4:12 "let no man despise thy youth."1 Nephi 19:9 "And the world because of their iniquity shall judge him as a thing of naught; wherefore they scourge him, and he suffereth it, and they smite him, and he suffereth it. Yeah they spit upon him and he suffereth it because of his loving kindness and his longsuffering towards the children of men."I felt the loving kindness towards the woman realizing that the way she treated us (obviously not as severe as the way Christ was treated) was out of iniquity which is misery. I felt the distress and the urgency of her need for peace and felt the peace as I repented of my iniquity in feeling such unrighteous feelings toward her.

I praise the name of our merciful Lord forever. The life of a missionary is great and I love what I am learning. I miss you all and pray that each of us may come to further our charity towards the children of men.

Love,
Eldre McCarty
Pictures:55 This is Elder Sean Kipp. He's home now! I love him and learned a lot from him. We're past companions, present friends and future wake boarding buddies! :D
53 Elder Olive Onelani Kilifi. Not rare among the people of the polynesian islands Elder Kilifi is a man of tremendous heart. I hope we'll stay in touch and I look forward to the great things he'll do for this world!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Elder McCarty,

Elder Kilifi called me one day and asked me to come with him and Elder Nope to meet with a lady they were teaching. I was privileged to ride the roller coaster of teaching Andy and Alysia and all that has come since Andy's sudden passing. Elder Kilifi's impact on me has been life affirming. I think he was in Devon for 9 months and many remember him with fondness and love. I can't remember anyone having such a spirit as he does.