Best place to send packages (in case he gets transferred)
Mission Office
Elder Andrew McCarty
Canada Edmonton Mission
8925 51st Ave. suite 305
Edmonton AB T6E 5J3
CANADA

E-mail: A.a.mccarty@myldsmail.net

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Life is good. 15 April 2009‏

This week has been a enjoyable mix of hysterical fun and reverencing miracles. We'll start with the former!
HYSTERICAL FUN
On monday of this week a mini-missionary (someone not set apart but that serves as a missionary for a short time) named sister Keunzli went back down to red deer. While speaking on the phone with her for the last time Elder Kilifi gave her his email address because she wants to write him. We're both pretty certain that she thinks they'll get married. As they talked the phone was on speaker. I heard her go on a random tangent for about ten minutes and Elder Kilifi got the look on his face that says "I'm bored and no longer listening." Then he put his thumb over the reciever and screamed high pitched, shrilling and a little bit frightening. He didn't say any words he just screamed.As soon as he did the ridiculousness of the situation immediately hit me and I was on the floor ROLLING with laughter. I had suspected that rolling on the floor with laughter was always a figure of speech but it turns out it happens! To my added joy their conversation went on as Sister Keunzli laughed hysterically and asked "what was that." Despite covering the reciever she very much heard him scream.It was a funny time and my ribs hurt, my eyes watered and I had a great laugh!
Last night Elder Kilifi and I went on splits with some members of the ward. Despite both of the members that had initially volunteered to go not showing up, we found two brethren to take along. Elder Kilifi left to go to Gregorsh our polish investigator and the Brother I was to go with went to the washroom. (that's like restroom or bathroom in the states.) When He came back we headed to Gregorsh as well! Unfortunately my brain escaped me and even though we parked NEXT to their car we buzzed into the apartment and didn't realize why Gregorsh sounded so confused until we appeared at his door!There sat Elder Kilifi and Brother Hoag and Gregorsh welcomed us in anyhow (though he was still perplexed.) I'm sure my face turned red as I confessed to Gregorsh that my mind was elsewhere and that we actually couldn't stay! Oy... Sometimes I feel like my mind is at maximum capacity.
REVERINCING MIRACLES
Yesterday afternoon we recieved a phone call. Delaina Nolan is an amazing woman whom we are teaching. She explained to us that she was feeling ill and would need to cancel our 3:00 appointment. We offered our help and asked if we could re-schedule. She said she might be feeling better that evening so we planned to put her in the slot at 8:00 since our other appointment for our splits had cancelled. She agreed and hung up the phone.Roughly five minutes later she called back, this time in tears. She said "Elder McCarty... I need to ask you for... This is so hard. We don't have enough food do you know where we can get some groceries?"My heart nearly broke. This incredibly strong woman who is used to providing as a single mother for her two sweet girls found a way to humble herself and ask for help. We called our ward secretary and set up a time for her to meet with the bishop so he could assist. We than called the missionaries in the surrounding wards. We asked them if they had any food that we could donate to her. They all gathered food. It was missionary food but that's better than nothing at all. To add to their generousity they gave candy from packages Mothers had sent, cookies, and a slew of random foods. We had about 8 grocery bags full and we brought them to her.Tears swelling in her eyes she invited us in. We placed the food on her table and she thanked us a thousand times or so. We told her we are eager to help and that we appreciated her asking because we know it's not easy. She gave us each hugs. I know that as missionaries we ought not but I saw a daughter of God that needed a hug and so I wasn't about to throw a stiff arm to keep her back.As we taught her last night she told us about how thirsty she is for the gospel and how nothing in her life has quenched that thirst since she was a little girl. We told her she would have that again.
She is to be baptized on May 2, 2009. Her motives are pure and her heart sincere. She is a wonderful example of the elect Doctrine and Covenants 29:7 speaks of. I love that we get to help God in this work.Meanwhile Elder Kilifi met with a Philipino family of 6. This was our second lesson with them and they told him how true the Plan of Salvation is. They ALL committed to be baptized and confirmed on May 23, 2009.The good Lord is SO merciful and is plentifully blessing us!
This mission is transforming from the attitude of "maybe you'll see a baptism or two" (something my trainer told me at my missions start) to the attitude of "The field is white already to harvest." The Lords promises are fulfilled and I am humbled to be a servant in the vineyard gathering in the Children of God.
Love,Eldre McCarty
Pictures:

60 This is our district having a last district meal at Pancakes N Steaks. Good times!
61 Here's Elder McCarty's first Sushi! Made by Sister Klein who is from Japan and her cooking proves it! Delicious.
62 This is while we were teaching our Mexican friends at their home. They are all amazing and I love them even though all I can communicate is Hola!
63 The three amigos at their baptism. I was blessed with the privelage of being a part of it! I baptized Elisabeth who is always willing to give me a smile and a compassionate look that speaks "You have no idea what is going on but that's ok."




No comments: